Thursday, March 28, 2013

"Record Breaking Snow" Now Playing in Springfield, IL

You probably will agree it seems the weatherpersons cry "Wolf!" too often. (Oh, no a dog reference so early, who'd have thought? And, FYI, ye of little faith, scientists will tell us all that 99.9% of dogs' DNA matches that of wolves.) Back to the weather, not that it is any more exciting, usually. This week we learned the weather folks do/can get it right. Well, almost. This time they UNDER-estimated what we might get in terms of that springtime precip: S-N-O-W.

Yes, springtime is what I write and what I mean. Typically, or should it be traditionally, along about the time everyone puts up their shovels, drops off the winter coat at the cleaners, rolls up the wool sox and puts them in the back of the drawer, and maybe starts a collection for giving away those items now deemed "I'm not wearing this another year), THAT'S when we get the final snow for the early part of the year. Realize of course I state this at the end of a month which sometimes is followed by a month of surprises. Why, I remember, back in ('XX) the Ice Storm on April 1st. Beautiful sight but treacherous travel which made me thankful I had fireplace heat and electrical power and neighbors to come over and share the spirit(s).

It cannot go un-noted, this will be a year to remember. Therefore, voila', a creation has been sculpted to plant the vision in my memory so decades from now I will recall this time as easily as I do the Ice Storm.

This time it was snow. On one of my visits to the homestead of folks who'd gone skiing (the joke definitely was on them) I had the dogs out romping and running and took
an extra 10 minutes to see what I could build for the snow was
perfect for a construction project. For a first time effort, my
resting snow dog turned out "OK". Don't comment that you cannot see
it. I do not want to read that. Look again. two front legs, a head, one ear out "in the breeze" and one close to the head, a reclining body, one rear leg and a tail. Granted, if I have to go to that extent in defining it then maybe it's not all that great. Oh. Well.

Moving on, let me present two boundless pooches who took it all in stride.
These buddies could not get outside fast enough or play long enough. They rolled in the snow, laid flat in it and also managed to start to walk out onto the covered pool. Thankfully I put a stop to that for I was not certain what I'd do if they broke through, what with the weight of the snow also on top of the pool. They were good. I had it under control. We truly enjoyed being out in this, albeit three times a day. Breathing in the crisp and decidedly fresh air was tremendous. Temps never prevented our adventuring out.

Alas, it's all behind us now, turned to slush and mud. Hopefully this is just what the farmers want to kick off planting season. I'd hate to think it was nothing more than the opportunity to get all that gear out again, put it on time after time after time, and now wonder if it is OK to put it in storage.

Before I go, I want to share this photo of what I call MamaMazda and her baby. Maybe it's just my weird sense of humor influenced by the adjustment in the weather.Humor me. It was funny when I saw them, a big Mazda and a little one, same basic style, same color, side by side.
Give me a break!





No comments: